Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why we Relay

Hello and welcome. We have had many new visitors lately and we would like to share with you why we relay.

Everyone involved with Pink Heat has their own story, this is mine:

Tiffany Lybarger-
My grandma Lois was my favorite person in the whole world. Growing up I loved talking to her, loved when she would come visit, loved at Christmas time receiving the package from UPS and looking and waiting to open the big gift that said 'open last' on it. My best moment was making the drive to Texas with my now Hubby to visit for a week. She was already a cancer survivor at that point. She was a survivor of breast cancer for twelve years.

In 2007, at the age of 62 she passed away as the cancer returned and she was unable to come out a winner. But in all our eyes she will be one of the strongest women we ever knew. 62 was so young.

She had her own team with the Relay for Life in Hereford, Tx. She raised loads of money and always was so proud when she found out I was participating in my Relay for Life as a team member back in Pennsylvania, and I know she would be dang proud right now.

2011 will be my seventh year participating in the Relay for Life, and my second year as Team Captain of Pink Heat. In 2009 while I walked the track as not part of a team but just a person wanting to participate here in Maryland, I reflected on a lot of things and I knew that 2010 was the year I needed to form my own team. It was time I carried the torch on for her and where she left off raising money to fight for a cure. Time to take things into my own hands and not just be a participant but something more. Time to make things happen.

Last year Pink Heat raised $6,033.00. Friends, family, and strangers all came together to help fight for a cure. We hope you all will continue this fight for us, if not with a donation but with awareness of this horrible disease.

I know she is proud, I know she is watching. I know that this passion for a cure has overcome me, but in some ways I wonder if this is just how she felt, and right now I feel pretty darn good knowing what a difference this team is making.

For information on what the Relay for Life is and how to become involved please visit:
http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/whatisrelay#whatisrelay

If you would like to make a donation to the American Cancer Society on behalf of Pink Heat please go here:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11SA?pg=personal&fr_id=33329&fr_id=33329&px=6796193
As always, you can email us at pinkheat@hotmail.com

Let's fight for a cure!!!

No comments: